nubbin n : a small nub (especially an undeveloped fruit or ear of corn)
- Webster 1913
- "nubbin" in Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2007 Microsoft Corporation.
- "nubbin" in Compact Oxford English Dictionary, © Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.
- Random House Webster's Unabridged Electronic Dictionary, 1987-1996.
A supernumerary nipple (also known as a third nipple, triple nipple, thripple, accessory nipple, polythelia or polymastia) is an additional nipple occurring in mammals, including humans. Often mistaken for moles, supernumerary nipples are diagnosed at a rate of 1 in 18 humans.
PresentationThe nipples appear along the two vertical "milk lines", which start in the armpit on each side, run down through the typical nipples and end at the groin. They are classified into eight levels of completeness from a simple patch of hair to a milk-bearing breast in miniature.
Polythelia refers to the presence of an additional nipple alone while polymastia denotes the much rarer presence of additional mammary glands.
Although usually presenting on the milk line, pseudomamma can appear as far away as the foot.
A possible relationship with mitral valve prolapse has been proposed.
- Actor and singer Mark Wahlberg has a supernumerary nipple below his normal left nipple. It was, however, airbrushed out of the Calvin Klein underwear ads in which Wahlberg modeled.
- Anne Boleyn, second wife to Henry VIII of England, and mother of Elizabeth I, is said have had a third nipple or even a third breast. This may well have been a slanderous rumour, as in Tudor times these "malformations" were considered to be a sign of the person having been a witch. The circumstances of her marriage to the king, who had divorced his first wife, made her a controversial figure.
- Asian-American fetish model Masuimi Max has two supernumerary nipples, located above the breasts near the armpits.
In popular cultureFictional characters said to have "a third nipple" include:
- (1938) Fred Hale/Kolley Kibber in the novel Brighton Rock by Graham Greene had a supernumerary nipple.
- (1974) The assassin Francisco Scaramanga from the James Bond book and movie The Man with the Golden Gun
- (1990) One of the mutant prostitutes in the movie Total Recall has three breasts (arranged horizontally), and thus three nipples (as evidenced by exposure of them).
- (1992) Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons has a "superfluous third nipple", as revealed in Kamp Krusty.
- (1995) Chandler Bing from the Friends TV show. In The One With Phoebe's Husband, he refers to his third nipple as his "nubbin", but eventually has it removed via an operation he calls a "nubbinectomy" (the word implying surgical removal of a nubbin). When asked by another character (Ross) if it could "do" anything, he replied that it could "open the delivery entrance to the magical land of Narnia."
- (1995) Telly in the movie Kids says "that's my triple nipple" after being asked about a mark on his body.
- (1995) Fortune teller Miss Ivannah from the movie Mallrats (although this is a fake – after the protagonists leave her shop, she peels the fake third nipple from her breast and licks it.)
- (1996) Dr. Noah Faulkner in the film Bio-Dome
- (c. 1999) In an Ed, Edd and Eddy episode, Eddy gets the boys temporarily out of a potentially embarrassing situation by falsely claiming that Ed "has three nipples like that bad guy in James Bond". When Ed asks where it is, Eddy pinches one of Ed's nipples.
- (2000) In an episode of Family Guy, Peter tries to convince a Make A Wish-type organization that his son Chris is dying by making multiple fake "nipples" made of pepperoni on his body.
- (2002) Malcolm's classmate Dabne in the Malcolm in the Middle TV show, episode 314 Cynthia's Back (which aired February 17 2002) Line: "I wonder if my third nipple can get me out of wrestling?"
- (2002) Mrs. Selman from the Adam Sandler's film Eight Crazy Nights has a third nipple and breast.
- (2002) Johann van der Smut, AKA Goldmember from the movie Austin Powers in Goldmember has a third nipple.
- (c. 2003) Dr. Archie Morris from the ER TV show.
- (2004) In an episode of The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy, Billy says a list of what he has always wanted and one of the list items is a fourth nipple.
- (2007) In Good Luck Chuck (starring Dane Cook) Stu's new girlfriend has a third breast
- (2008) In It's a Wonderful Lie, episode 10 of the fourth season of the medical drama House, a woman suffers complications due to breast cancer, despite having had a prophylactic double mastectomy - because she has an extra deposit of glandular tissue under her knee.
- (2008) In January 2008 Channel 4 broadcast a documentary called The Triple Nipple Club which followed director Dan Louw's attempts to understand why he was born with two extra nipples. The film explored popular culture, genetic theory and family history. It culminated with Louw meeting scientists at the Breakthrough Breast Cancer Centre who believe that they have cracked the genetic basis for supernumerary nipples. It also featured Louw trying to organise the first ever 'Triple Nipple Pride' event, which took place at the Skegness Carnival
- Healthwise "Accessory nipples (polythelia) and breast tissue (polymastia)" at uhseast.com, accessed 26 December 2004
- BBC: Cancer hope over breast gene find at BBC
- My physical deformity at infactah.com
- The Superfluous Nipple news and information blog.
- http://www.channel4.com/video/first-cut-the-triple-nipple-club/series-1/episode-1/throwback_p_1.html Documentary about extra nipples.
- Accessory breast, a condition where an entire additional breast is present rather than simply an additional nipple
nubbin in Spanish: Politelia
nubbin in Japanese: 副乳
nubbin in Russian: Полителия
bantam, banty, bilge, blain, bleb, blister, blob, boss, bow, bubble, bulb, bulge, bulla, bump, bunch, burden, burl, button, cahot, chine, chit, clump, condyle, convex, core, crux, diminutive, dowel, ear, featherweight, fingerling, flange, flap, gall, gist, gnarl, handle, hill, hump, hunch, jog, joggle, kernel, knob, knot, knur, knurl, lightweight, lip, loop, lump, matter, meat, mini, minikin, minnow, minny, mole, mountain, mouse, nevus, nub, nubble, papilloma, peewee, peg, pony, rib, ridge, ring, runt, shoulder, shrimp, slip, small fry, snip, snippet, spine, stud, style, tab, tit, tubercle, tubercule, upshot, verruca, vesicle, wale, wart, welt, wisp